One writer farms, and the other one hunts.
The difference between a content writer and a copywriter imitates the difference between a farmer and a hunter.
A content writer’s job is that of farming or growing the business base and followers. Content writers depict the business or person as an authority, a resource, and a fountain of information. The tools of the trade for content writers are blogs, website content, newsletters, and social media posts. Marketing strategists create the plan, and content writers support the brand and identity of the company.
A content writer elicits trust and engagement in the writing making a choice to bond with or engage with the company an easy decision.
Copywriters are pure hunters and they actively interact with the targeted audience. They are focused on the call to action and the voice of the writer encourages the reader to take that action. Their tools of the trade are advertising avenues, sales materials, SEO, and email campaigns driving to get that call to action completed.
A copywriter elicits emotion and empathy in the writing making the choice to take the action an easy decision.
When would you hire a content writer vs. a copywriter?
Simple. What is the goal? Are you a start-up company in a crowded space looking to establish trust and reputation distinguishing your company from the others? Then hire a content writer. Or, are you an established business adding a new line of products and services and you are looking for sales, or users to beta your new products and services? Then hire a copywriter. The goal drives the hire. Most content writers would say that a copywriter is best suited to drive sales and they will stick to building your brand and reputation.
Think carefully before you hire a content writer or copywriter.
Spend the time mapping out your desired outcome. Goals and marketing strategies can be altered, but not always easily. Determine what the results of your efforts will need to be, and then select the best writer to get you there.
- Ask for writing samples. Be specific so the samples match what you are asking the writer to do for you.
- References are often given to show a company in their best light. When checking references, be prepared with questions targeting the project description and how the writer has accomplished the goals for them.
- Ask for a trial. If you are not sure, suggest a sample or trial writing piece and solicit comments and critiques from your marketing strategist, employees, and customers.
Whether the writing service you hire is there to farm your existing client base, or spread your footprint into new markets, the experienced writer will get you there.
At Put Another Way we are content writers. Blogging, website content, and newsletters constitute 80% of our business. Copywriting services for ads, brochures and often landing pages make up the remaining 20%. Our small business clients need assistance finding their voice in the written word and messaging consistency supports their brand. We wear the hunter cap as copywriters in conjunction with marketing strategists bringing a company’s vision and plan to life.
Karen Lombardo is the founder of Put Another Way LLC. Karen has been creating original and relevant content for businesses for over a decade. The company culture is relaxed, the office mate is an old Pug named Izzy, and the philosophy is to listen first, create later.