Are you looking for a hero? It’s late in the afternoon, and you are sitting at your desk wondering what to do about dinner. So, you turn to Google and enter the search term, “Italian restaurants near me.” The first item in the results list looks great, so you click on the link. An attractive and engaging image appears with a headline and a button that says, Order Now. That’s your hero image!
What is a hero image?
The hero image is essentially the sizeable attention-getting banner header on your website. It traditionally sits between the navigation and the beginning of the content. Hero images can be dynamic using video or animation, or they can be static images.
What are the key elements of the hero image?
Think about some of the hero images that come to mind. Did they inspire you to act? Did they clearly tell you what the company does or stands for? There are essentially three parts to the hero image.
- An engaging image. People are visual, and you do not have a great deal of time to capture their attention. Always use a high-resolution image that speaks to you, your business, or your core values.
- The all-powerful H1. The H1 is usually presented in a large bold heading. Choose a header or copy that is engaging and communicates to the visitor.
- Call to action. Your website guest has seen the image, read the message, and is ready to take action. Give them something to do! Click to contact us, Buy Now, or Read More.
Why does your website need a hero image?
Yes, your website design needs it! However, do not rush the process. We recently created a website for a company that went through three rounds of image selection until they got the right one. It was time well spent. Your hero image performs functions on your behalf.
- Addresses a common customer question such as “Open 24/7” or “We use 100% Organic Produce.”
- Highlights your value proposition or why the customer should buy or engage with your business.
- Builds brand awareness. The hero image can be of your business in some way. The image can also be of something important to your organization, such as a nonprofit
- Announces news, updates, and sales. The hero image is prime real estate- use it wisely.
How to select the perfect home page image.
The hero image is an essential component of the overall website design. When the website loads and the visitor sees the hero image, you have captured their attention and enticed them to continue scrolling the home page or to take action. Selecting the image should not be overwhelming or intimidating. Just think of what you like about your favorite websites and what you experienced when viewing their home page.
- Keep it simple.
- Focus on your products or services.
- Use people. People identify with people.
- Spark an emotion.
- Build brand trust and awareness.
- Ask them to do something and take action
If you struggle with bold, we can help. Designing and building your new company’s website can be overwhelming and intimidating. The image kicks off the tone and look-and-feel of the website. We are here to guide you through the process and offer support. Together we will select the perfect hero image and your website for your business. Schedule a free 30-minute consultation now.