One of the first questions people think of when looking to hire a content writer is, “How do I hire a content writer?” I find it interesting that people can be intimidated by a content writer. You have all the knowledge; content writers are there best to represent your intent and tone in writing! No reason to be intimidated at all.
How do I choose a content writer?
Hiring a content writer is more than a choice; it needs to be a match. Content writing projects can be short-term, such as press releases, or long-term projects like e-Books or large website development plans. Therefore, you should find some synergy in your personalities and skills to produce the perfect end product.
Here are some quick tips for choosing a content writer:
- Learn about the writer. Do some research and see what type of clients and projects they have worked with. Are they in your genre? If not, that is okay. Did you like their style?
- How are their reviews? Check out any online reviews on social media or Goggle Reviews.
- Look at their social media accounts. Do they have interactions with their clients and the community, and how do they view them? What does their social media writing look like?
- Talk openly about price and deadlines. Be prepared with a price you are willing to pay and the deadline you are under for the deliverable. Make sure they are readily available.
- Be wary of low-cost or offshore writers. If you choose to work with an offshore writing service, be aware of time differences and the challenges with retribution if deadlines are not met.
What other types of content writers are there?
Bloggers make up a significant portion of today’s content writers. Bloggers can highlight your business’s complexities and workings and flex your knowledge muscles with your customers and prospects. Educating your prospects about your business and sharing industry news is an integral part of your online persona.
Content writers are often hired for marketing pieces such as case studies, press releases, news articles, and sales materials. Spending the time with your content writer to help them understand your business will deliver quality content every time.
How much do content writers charge?
I know this answer will not make you happy, but the cost of hiring a content writer can vary. Some content writers charge by the hour or per word; others charge per page or project. No matter the fee schedule, always have your work scope clearly explained and agreed upon before pricing is determined.
Also, content writer or freelancer rates vary by industry, location, and experience level, making it difficult to answer this question quickly or concisely.
What do I need to hire a content writer?
The best thing you can do before hiring a content writer or freelancer is to be prepared. Scope or outline what you are looking for creates a comfortable and collaborative environment to complete the project on time and within budget.
Not knowing exactly what you need is okay, too, so long as you define the scope before starting the project. Here are some common requests that probably could use just a little help in fine-tuning:
- I need a website and content for my new business.
- A local publication asked us to submit an article about the construction of our new headquarters.
- Help! I need to prepare documents for a presentation to the company about my division, our clients, and the sales and marketing results for 2020.
- The SEO advisor says I need to blog once a week!
- I only use Facebook for family news. How do I write social media posts for my business?
All of these requests share the same need- details, and deadlines. But do not worry if you don’t have them. Knowledgeable content writers will work with you before starting to get everything needed to deliver what you need to succeed.
Ready to hire a content writer?
Not quite so fast. Please do some research first. Ask for references and samples. Some content writers cannot give examples that are proprietary or if they signed an NDA. Please turn to the internet and Google them, their business, and read the reviews.
It is not easy to write about yourself or your business- so don’t! Hire a content writer and enjoy the process. You will not be sorry that you invested the time and the money into a successful project. Schedule a free consultation for help with your next project.