Many couples reach a point in their marriage when they look to reaffirm and recommit their life and love to each other. Renewing your wedding vows is simple and easy and can be planned with a bit of professional help and guidance.
What is a wedding vow renewal?
A wedding vow renewal ceremony is a celebratory ceremony for a married couple to reaffirm their love and commitment to each other. Renewing your vows can be performed simply as an afternoon event in a backyard garden or as an extravagant evening affair of dinner and dancing.
- You can still have a pastor, priest, or rabbi officiate the ceremony.
- Children can participate in the ceremony and share stories about the family and their view of your marriage.
- Gather your original wedding party to ‘stand up’ once again and attest to your love and commitment to each other.
- Make it a theme party and celebrate commonality you both enjoy!
What do you say when you renew your wedding vows?
When asked this question, I tell the couple that the page is blank, and we can write the vows together. Some couples revert to the vows they spoke on their wedding day. The tradition of repeating those vows is important to them. Other couples create personal vows to reflect both the joy and challenges of their marriage and where they are today.
Top three reasons couples renew their vows.
Every couple is unique and different, and their reasons for renewing their vows reflect that individuality. Even within the couple, one may be more deep and romantic and the other lighthearted and funny. Each has its unique spirit that drives the motivation for the renewal ceremony.
- Celebrating a milestone. Many couples renew their vows on a milestone anniversary such as 5,10, 20, 25, 30, 40, or 50th. The anniversary renewal ceremony combines the original joy of the wedding day with a revitalized celebration of deep-found love and commitment.
- Overcoming obstacles and challenges. Marriage is not for the faint of heart, and situations can arise that test the very core of the marital bond. Infidelity, loss of a child, illness, or perhaps terminal illness can be reasons for renewing the vows. Sadly, many times vows are renewed during Hospice to celebrate a life joined as one and hope to continue their marriage for all eternity.
- Your original wedding was a civil ceremony. Couples married by the Justice of the Peace or an officiant look back and wish they had a formal ceremony. Renewing their vows allows the couple to recommit to their marriage in their own words. The ceremony can be done in a religious venue or at a favorite spot they have enjoyed, such as a lake, mountain, or even a ski resort!
Are wedding vows always renewed on the anniversary date?
No, not necessarily, depending on the purpose of the renewal. If the marriage has been through challenges, the rebirth of the marriage may deserve a new date, a date to celebrate a stronger, more profound vow to each other.
Does a vow renewal require a license?
A vow renewal is not a legal ceremony, and you are not legally getting married again. This makes the ceremony a celebration of joy without any formality. Also note, you do not need an officiant who can perform a legal marriage. Anyone can officiate the vow renewal ceremony.
Planning your wedding vow renewal
Unlike a wedding, the renewal ceremony does not require all the pomp and circumstance. Most couples choose a smaller and intimate ceremony with family and friends.
- Start with a discussion about the ceremony and celebration.
- Create a budget and stick to it.
- What will you wear? That depends on the venue and type of ceremony. Be prepared and discuss it in advance, nonetheless.
- Light fare or sit-down dinner?
- Gifts for each other? Here is a small piece of advice- talk about this in advance. You don’t want to have someone’s feelings hurt!
But most importantly are the vows. Professional wedding vow writers are skilled at uncovering the inner feelings you have for each other and composing them in a manner that can be communicated and delivered comfortably and genuinely.
Writing your wedding renewal vows.
Keep it simple and from the heart. Many couples write their vows and search for some inspiration and guidance. Schedule a free consultation with me. Let’s work together to write your vows and capture why you said I do so many years ago.